Crucial victory in Dar-Es-Salaam keeps K’Ogalo marching to quarters

Gor Mahia beat Young Afrcians SC 2-3 away in Dar-Es-Salaam on Sunday evening and could just be on their way to their dream Caf Confederations Cup quarter finals qualification.

The pre-match equation at the back of a resounding 4-0 victory over their opponents was simple for Gor Mahia – a point or more would take them closer to their dream. And they set about their task with relish, roaring into the hosts straight from kick off and taking the lead after just 36 seconds through a George Odhiambo diving header.

Gor Mahia set the ball rolling and drifted to the right flank as the hosts shaped up their defense but they were hit sooner than they expected. Samuel Onyango was set on the run and he delivered a long cross that found Odhiambo at the back post and the connection was a low diving header that goalkeeper Youthe Rostan could not keep out of his line despite having a touch of the ball.

The hosts looked to take control of the game there after and twice came close to grabbing an equalizer. A free header at the end of a corner cross sailed wide and Oluoch collected a long range shot. But their plan soon faded and the story of the rest first half was all about Gor Mahia.

Kevin Omondi put Youthe under pressure at the quarter-hour mark after a back pass play and he won possesion but could not fire past the recovering custodian. Then Onyango fired over the bar after a knock down by Tuyisenge.

User Rating: 4.45 ( 1 votes)

Then it was Walusimbi who surged forward at the half hour mark after a superb partnership with Kahata but his final shot sailed high and wide. Three minutes later Onyango made a solo run from the right and drilled a low shot but Youthe had enough on it to turn it out for a corner.

Odhiambo’s effort was again turned out by Youthe for a corner and he went to the flag to deliver. Shakava sneaked infront of the goalkeepr but could not keep his header down.

Then a goalkeeping blunder by the busy Yanga custodian gifted Gor Mahia an indirect free-kick. Youthe had collected the ball and in an attempt to roll it out to his defender the ball slipped and Kahata was arriving to intercept only for him to pick it up again. The  team worked their plan well and Tuyisenge fired home the bullet for a 0-2 lead at the break.

The second half saw a more resurgent Yanga SC. They controlled the tempo and kept possesion as Gor Mahia looked to struggle. Oluoch was tested in the 51st minute but he was alert making a superb diving save. But two minutes later he could not fashion another good save as he spilled the ball from an headed effort and Deus Kaseke poked it home.

On the hour mark, Gor Mahia surged forward and substitute Lawarance Juma who had just come on for Kevin Omondi delivered a long cross that was turned out for a corner. He ran to the opposite flag to deliver and Harun Shakava who was unmarked at the back post calmly struck home to once again double the lead.

Then Tuyisenge had two chances on goal but couldn’t find the back of Youthe’s net. He first weaved his way past the defense into a one on one situation with the keeper who had narrowed in to pull a fantastic block. Then he followed with a long range effort after a superb back heel through pass from Mieno.

On the opposite end Oluoch could not keep his grip tight and was punished by Raphael Loth who fired between his legs and into the net to once again narrow Gor Mahia’s lead.

But that was it for the match and Gor Mahia picks three crucial points to boost their march towards the quarters.

Related Articles

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button