Match review: Gor see off resilient Muhoroni Youth into cup semi-final.

Gor Mahia kept their FKF Cup defending ambitions alive after seeing off hard fighting Muhoroni Youth 4-2 albeit on post match penalties, at the city stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The match which had a lively start and an array of chances in regulation time never seemed to head for shoot out, but lack of clinical finishing when it mattered most by both teams ensured the all headed for the spot kicks decider at full time.

The defending champions had an almost perfect start but Muhoroni Youth custodian Joseck Gathongo was fast off his line to deny Rama Salim a through ball into his goal area by Danny Sserenkuma on the third minute.

Starting off rather cautiously, the visitors early moves forward were courtesy of trademark Harry Gentle long throw balls that were well defended out. However one bounced dangerously in the Gor Mahia goal area after a missed Antony Akumu header, but the ball easily rolled away and out.

Hassan Mwinyi then had the first attempt on goal for the visitors with a long range effort causing little problems to Ivoo Mapunda, but under no immense pressure the goalkeeper made a recollection.

As Gor Mahia fought to settle down into their passing style and strength in their home turf, another long range effort by Muhoroni saw Mapunda spill again almost gifting the lurking Abbey Kunrumi with the ball but his reaction was fast and spot on.

This however was at the back of an Antony Akumu effort that saw Gregory Nyapala intervene to clear away a dangerous drop by Joseck Gathongo. Then followed a serial attack by K’Ogalo but the the defenders were kept their lines clear with Joseck ensuring no harm was inflicted anytime the defenders were caught out.

As the break approached, Kevin Omondi curled wide an attempt from just inside the Muhoroni goal area after a wonderful through pass from Sserenkuma, before Harry Gentle intercepted to deny Rama Salim the ball from Kevin Omondi pass with the first half last meaningful play.

The second half looked to have more in store as Coach Zdravko introduced speedy full-back Yusuf Juma to better his attacking options. Antony Akumu once again had an effort saved by Gathongo after a lay back from instrumental Kevin Omondi.

The visitors played a long ball forward in the 51st minute and Collins Neto should have put them ahead were it not for his heavy touch on the ball that allowed Mosoti to clear the danger, with Ivoo Mapunda well beaten off his line.

Luck was however not on the hosts side with Edwin Lavatsa rocketing a shot high over the cross bar. But it was Danny Sserenkuma who was guilty of a squander, lifting high a shot from inside the visitor’s 18 yard. Kevin Omondi had knitted his way into the penalty area with a superb individual skill, beating four defenders and cutting back for the Ugandan who ballooned away a shot.

Punishment almost followed when Collins Neto had a chance in the six yard box. With the keeper at his mercy the striker lacked the composure to finish as he fired over the best opportunity for of the second half.

Muhoroni the set a strong finish but there was nothing more to count for the good play. Instead it took Joseck Gathongo’s super save to deny George Midenyo from a glancing header in the 84th minute.

Rama Salim led the pack of shooters for Gor Mahia and was better than Gathongo slotting home the first spot kick, a form that only George Midenyo failed to replicate. The striker crashed a rising shot on the cross bar, the only Gor miss.

Muhoroni Youth had double misses from David Oriki and Collins Neto, both firing off target. Gregory Nyapala and Ibrahim Ateng converted their kicks.

Moses Odhiambo, Yusuf Juma scored for Gor with Danny Sserenkuma netting the winner.

The win sets up a derby semi-final against AFC Leopards.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button