Gor Mahia FC skipper Philemon Otieno says the uncertainty surrounding the FKF Premier League resumption and its management is unhealthy for players.
Otieno has thus appealed to football stakeholders to come together to push through and restore order with the league now almost two months behind schedule.
“As of now, we are still not sure when exactly we will go back to the pitch for the new season. The dragging by stakeholders is quite unfair to us. I urge them to play their role and ensure we are back in a competitive league,” Otieno said.
The Kenyan International backed the move by FKF-PL clubs to boycott matches organized by the Transitional Committee saying it is pointless participating in a competition that is not recognized by FIFA.
“Every serious player would wish to play in a league that can take them places. Playing in leagues that are only recognized locally is like playing to futility.”
On Wednesday, 11 teams present in a resolution meeting agreed they would only play in a league sanctioned by FIFA and only when the international ban imposed on the country is lifted.
It appeared there would be a breakthrough for Kenyan football when the disbanded Football Kenya Federation’s offices were reopened almost a year after they were shut down by the Ministry of Sports.
But that excitement may be short-lived as the FKF boss Nick Mwendwa is set to face fresh criminal charges on Monday, setting up the stage for another prolonged battle for the management of Kenyan football.
FKF officials have been out of office since November last year when the national organization was dissolved by the Sports Cabinet Secretary after an investigation into its books allegedly revealed financial misappropriation.
Committees formed by Amina have since been running the game, but Kenyan leagues and indeed the country’s national teams remain unrecognized by FIFA.
According to the transitional Committee, the league is due to resume on October 1, but Mwendwa says there will be no such action until at least early November.