Ten man Gor Mahia turn tables on City Stars

Ten-man Gor Mahia came from behind twice to bag three points as they beat Nairobi City Stars 3-2 at Kasarani Stadium on Sunday.

City Stars took the lead first, then Gor equalized, then City Stars reclaimed their lead in the beginning of the second half, then Gor equalized again, and eventually, Gor had the last laugh from an own goal for maximum points.

Anthony Mukki Kimani gave “Simba wa Nairobi” the lead after 33 minutes, volleying home to an empty net after being set up by Dennis Wanjala.

Wanjala found himself in an unfamiliar location on the right side of the attack but did well to beat the oncoming Gad Matthews to a header to set up Kimani.

Gor Mahia forward George “Blackberry” Othinambo (right) in action during Gor Mahia vs Nairobi City Stars match at Kasarani. Picture courtesy of Mozzart Sports

The lead would however last only 10 minutes as Sammy Onyango drove home from the edge of the box to draw Gor level.

Onyango had been trying those long-range shots for the better part of the half, quite a number of them going off the target.

Timothy Babu Ouma restored City Stars’ lead within the first minute of the second half, heading home from a trademark Anthony Kimani’s ball behind the defense.

Chasing the game, Gor Mahia’s Andreas Spier brought in John Macharia and Sando Yangayay for George Odhiambo and Austin Omondi.

The change paid off almost immediately as John Macharia set up Benson Omala who had been silent for the better part of the game for the leveler again.

Action at Kasani: Nicholas Kipkirui (right in light blue) in action against his former club Gor mahia FC.

Six minutes after equalizing, Gor Mahia were reduced to 10 men after Gad Matthews was sent off, his mistake coming after handling the ball outside his area to deny Kimani a clear scoring opportunity.

Paul Ochuoga gad to be sacrificed after the red card, Dolph Owino coming in to stand in between the sticks and his first contribution was to deny Kimani from a freekick.

Gor Mahia took the lead for the first time in the game, and when it really mattered with seven minutes left to play in regular time after Dennis Wanjala put the ball into his own net.

The players wheeled away in celebration, and surprisingly Gad Matthews who had been red-carded minutes ago joined them in the celebrations before making his way back to the stands.

Mozzart Sports

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button