We are the champions of Kenya.

Gor Mahia cruised to their second Kenya Premier League title in two years with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Ushuru FC at Moi Stadium Kisumu on Saturday afternoon.

The title race was open to second-placed Sofapaka FC too and needing a win for glory, Gor Mahia finally broke through the massed ranks of Ushuru FC defenders in the 49th minute when midfielder Eric Ochieng’s low long-range shot proved too hot to handle for goalkeeper Kevin Otieno.

The goal removed any lingering nerves for Coach Frank Nutall’s men, who have led the premier league since April, with Sofapaka’s 2-2 win against Tusker FC at Ruaraka ensuring the defending champions ended the season three points clear of their nearest rivals – two more than they began the final day.

Danni Sserenkuma gleefully doubled the hosts in the second half to start the party at the Kisumu County Stadium. The afternoon sun was scorching but the stadium was fully packed, the decibels rose and atmosphere was perfect for the home side.

Gor Mahia approached the game with the confidence of a side that were comfortable and in control of their destiny. Not even the absence of their two first team players was notable. Midfielder Geoffrey Kizito was out on suspension and defender Harun Shakava was ill.

Ushur did play a little more positively than the previous encounter, but the occasions they threatened were still few and far between.

Gor Mahia were pilling pressure on the visitors but could not earn an early tiebreaker, thanks to goalkeeper Kevin Otieno’s heroic saves. He brilliantly saved from George Odhiambo’s shot and Godfrey Walusimbi’s set piece and Sserenkuma headed over.

Gor Mahia maintained the pressure with Odhiambo forcing the goalkeeper to tip over. Ochieng finally broke the deadlock in added time of the first half after as he took aim and struck a powerful shot that flew beyond Otieno and into the side-netting.

Gor Mahia fans then increased the volume significantly in the second half and Danni Sserenkuma truly got the party started when he stabbed home after George Odhiambo delivered into the box only six minutes into the second half.

Odhiambo then let fly but his shot sailed wide off target before Richard Mmboyi netted an own goal to stretch K’Ogalo’s lead in the 78th minute.

The home side like their fans knew the job was completed and they duly played out the closing minutes with little alarm to prompt a pitch invasion and jubilant scenes at full time.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker